Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkin Carvin'

So.... like I said we had a good ole fashioned pumpkin carvin' last night. This is what my pumpkin looks like in the daytime (see the previous post for its night time look).



We had Frito pie and chili dogs for supper, and to set the mood I put "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" in the DVD and we watched it in the lounge prior to the carving.



I prepared the dining room table by covering it with a plastic dropcloth. We had gloves to protect ourselves from any communicable disease which may be transmitted through pumpkin guts. I bought some little cheapy ice cream scoops, which are pretty good at scraping out the inside of a pumpkin.



Erin and Joshua start by cutting the tops of their Jack-o-Lanterns. Notice the garbage bag lined bucket in the middle of the table (for pumpkin guts).



Lori and Donnie had a difficult time deciding who was going to carve which pumpkin.



I am intently carving my pumpkin. They were laughing about me sticking out my tongue. I told them about how in residency some of the nursing staff in the NICU and ICN would laugh at me when I would place iv's in premie babies' umbilical cords because I would stick out my tongue (it helps with concentration).



Lori's "Apple" pumpkin.



Donnie, the artist/ art professor, wanted to make a political statement about Iran's nuclear attempts by referencing an iconic graphic design motif (ie. I "heart" NY).



Erin used a lemon zester to create her Spider and Web design.



Joshua wanted the "pumpkiness" to show through, so he outlined his pumpkin's grooves.



Travis liked Joshua's pumpkin the best. Later that night when Joshua set his pumpkin in the yard, Travis marked it as his own.

No comments: