Sunday, March 16, 2008

It is "Sew" St. Patrick's Day!

Sew.... every once in a while, I get a wild hair and decide that I need to prove to myself that I can do something. Well, this time, something was "to make a pair of pants." I had hemmed several slacks and sleeves, mended holes, constructed costumes, and designed a duvet, but all of these things are either fairly simple or have a good degree of forgiveness. But, Trousers - absolutely no forgiveness!

I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, in case they didn't turn out, so I used some fabric I already had. I bought it a while ago to cover the dining room chair cushions, but I have since decided on using a different fabric. I did cover the seat of a chair in the kitchen with this "lovely" green and yellow striped chenille (almost corduroy looking) upholstery fabric.



So, what is one to do with a few extra yards of upholstery fabric? Make some super hilarious and equally horrendous St. Patrick's Day Trousers!



I am so pleased with how well they turned out.

Plain-front styling makes these corduroy-like, durable trousers versatile for work or play. A special green and yellow tonal stripe ensures a fashion forward look. Features slant pockets in front and a welt pocket in back.

  • Sits at waist
  • Easy through thigh
  • Straight leg
  • Dry Clean only
  • Hand made in USA
They fit, they button, they elongate the figure (yeah, right). I am happy. I even sewed in a label:



"Smilin' Doc" was the best I could come up with this afternoon for a Brand Name - at least it's appropriate. The pockets and the seam linings are all done with this lemon/lime op art fabric.



I'm not taking any orders yet (unless you wear my size) because I only have one pattern. I ripped apart an old pair of pants that had a hole in them to create the pattern. Perhaps, you'll see me in some more Smilin' Doc Brand Trousers. Be on the look out this summer - I've already bought some yardage of plaid patchwork madras.

Sorry, the above photo was just supposed to be another angle of my awesomely hideous slacks (not necessarily a crotch shot).

BTW: in response to Gretchen's comment on the 2/20/08 post regarding my pair of green corduroy pants with embroidered St. Bernards. I am no where near skinny enough to wear those, but I hope these Special Order St. Patty's Pant will satisfy your need for a more fashionable Aaron.

5 comments:

Rachel Baby said...

Aaron, those pants are pretty cool! Again, you never cease to amaze me! :)

Ali b said...

Wow, that's all I can say to that one!! So are you going to have more made to wear when we come to visit??

Ali

gretchen said...

i love the pants! you should leave hgtv and turn to bravo for project runway. take your pants to new york fashion week!

The FitzWilliams said...

Absolutely hideous in a fabulous way! Did you wear them to work today?
I'm so glad your're back to blogging - I was having withdrawals...

Misty Leigh

Joy said...

You so could have beat Christian to win Project Runway!!